Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Society event, Corvallis style

We went to a lovely fundraising event for the group Zonta, which I had not heard of before.  According to their website,  "Founded in 1919, Zonta International is a global organization of executives and professionals working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy."  I was impressed with the projects, both local and international, promoting women's interests.  See http://www.zonta.org/.

Our neighbors Kelly and Dana had purchased a table for 8 for dinner, and we enjoyed their company.  Of course, before dinner there was a silent auction with MANY items, and during the last part of dinner was an oral auction.  They had enough items that there were two auctioneers, spelling each other while the other ran around confirming bids.  This was very familiar, from fundraisers I've been involved with, particularly for the kids' band fundraisers.

Kelly bid on a pecan pie, which he did not win.  I told him not to worry, I would make him a pecan pie. I  take pride in my pecan pies with the triple amount of pecans I use.  I made it and it was appreciated.

The most "Corvallis" aspect was that there was a beautiful, glamorous, silver fox coat in perfect condition, for the oral auction.  Despite any distaste for animal furs, it was truly beautiful.  However, no one wanted to big on it.  While everything else was going for outrageous sums (rich people here in Corvallis?), this coat went for $300-something.  The ladies at my table said that anyone wearing that coat in Corvallis would be laughed at.  OK - I will know to avoid wearing any beautiful fur coats here.

No comments:

Post a Comment